When we wake up in the morning, most of us create a list of things to do that day. For example, you need to run some errands, go grocery shopping, call your nephew on his birthday, and stop by the local coffee shop for coffee.
Well guess what – the Lord also has a list for us – a list of divine appointments and works of the Spirit. And if we spend time with the Lord in the morning, His Holy Spirit will reveal these to us.
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.” Proverbs 3:5-6
This is not works righteousness or works salvation – it is responding to His call on our lives – it is the work of saints that He calls us to do.
What this might look like:
* On the way to the grocery store, you see a man with a sign that says he is a Vietnam Vet and asking for help. You give him a little cash and your favorite Bible verse on a piece of paper. He says: “God bless you.”
* You pass the hospital, and remember to bring a New Testament to the mother of a friend of yours in the hospital, and pray with her. She blesses you.
* You go grocery shopping and give your favorite Bible passage to the checker, telling her this is your most favorite quote in the whole world, and she can read it later. She thanks you.
* While you are at the coffee shop, you call your nephew and discuss what is happening in his life. You follow up by sending him some compelling Christian articles that relate to him in his situation.
* When you are having coffee at the coffee shop, you notice a young man who is looking for a table. They are all full, so you invite him to join you, which leads to a great discussion about life, drugs, Uganda, Christianity, and Jesus. Everybody has a life story to tell. He tells you his story, then you tell him yours.
So when you are developing your list for the day, be sure to ask the Lord what He has for you to do.
To God be the glory
Board of Evangelism